The Shared Custody ExperienceBy
On this episode of The Smart Divorce with Deborah Moskovitch, our guest is Denise Whitehead, a lawyer with a Ph.D. in Family Relations & Human Development. She combines her legal and social science backgrounds and shares her important research on socio-legal practice and policy issues related to separation and divorce that affect all members of the family system – mothers, fathers and children.
Dr. Whitehead discusses her dissertation research that involved in-depth interviews with young adults who spent time in shared custody as children and examined their perspectives on transitions, relationships and fairness. The information is helpful on so many levels – but most importantly looks at what children really want, the outcomes and impact.
Topics in this program include:
- How shared custody is influencing parent child relationships
- Fairness in decision making
- What children want in a custody arrangement
- The importance of quality time with children
- Who “owns the time”
- ‘Managing-up:’ Young adult children who experienced shared custody reflect on their efforts to make family relations work
- Custodial decision-making and fairness: Young adults who lived in shared custody give their ‘expert’ opinions
- And so much more…….
This is a must listen show if you are thinking of, working through or implementing your parenting plan. Dr. Whitehead provides practical and creative thinking about parenting and the relationship with your children.